I’ve been struggling on the “hair front” for the graphic novel, Deadland Chronicles, for some time. I’ve bounced around from using all Blender to Daz Studio to makeHuman … nothing seemed to work for the longest time.

Happily, I’ve gotten further on this than I hoped. Here is a short progression of tests.

FIRST TEST

This was a test as I was planning on using Daz Studio. So I needed a mesh=rendered hair. Not the best … actually, it’s pretty embarrassingly bad.

hairtest

SECOND TEST

This was taking what I tried in my previous and make it work better. The result, while not ideal, did give me some hope that I wasn’t wasting time. Using Blender.

hair_test_v2

THIRD TEST

Trying to use a hair technique used by Henrik Ryosa in his upcoming project, Brute, the result was albeit interesting but really not what I was looking for. It did, however, push a few of my Blender skills a bit and helped me to learn a few new tools that I didn’t know Blender had.

This was simply put extruding faces individually, smoothing and closing the ends to make big chunks. Finally, using the cloth modifier to make it fall.

henrikstylehair

FINAL TEST

Finally - I abandoned Daz Studio (which I would need to export a mesh) and fully embraced a Blender/makeHuman pipeline. I can now use the hair particle tools to make some pretty convincing looking hair.

The results I think are the best - not perfect but with a few tweaks could be pretty outstanding for this graphic novel.

newhairtest

And there we have it. A few interesting tests of different hair. I’m excited to see where I can take it from here!